Flight Test Drone Operator
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
Vermeer is looking for an enthusiastic Flight Test Drone Operator to join our dynamic team. In this role, you will be an essential part of our validation process for the next generation of groundbreaking GPS denied navigation, Computer Vision, and AR/VR mission planning products. Your responsibilities will encompass flying, maintaining, and testing our cutting-edge products on various Group 1-3 UAS platforms.As a Flight Test Drone Operator, you will fly different types of drones for the purpose of test and evaluation. Collaboration with our engineering team will be crucial as you plan, execute, and report on test activities. Your ability to rapidly adapt to and manage flight operations requirements across multiple projects and products will be paramount to your success.We are seeking candidates with proficiency operating and maintaining unmanned aircraft and associated hardware/software including PX4 and Ardupilot based autopilots. While a BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Aerospace, Aviation, or a related field is preferred, we will consider equivalent professional experience. The ability to interpret technical documentation and integrate payloads onto aircraft is essential, as is hands-on experience with small power tools, lab test equipment, soldering, and custom wiring harnesses. Familiarity with basic electronics and troubleshooting (multimeter, oscilloscope etc) is a huge plus. Familiarity with Linux, Windows, and Android-based operating systems will be advantageous.As a Flight Test Drone Operator, you must be willing to occasionally travel for test events, demonstrations, and collaborative flight projects. Strong problem-solving and organizational skills, combined with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, are vital for excelling in this role. Join us at Vermeer and contribute to the exciting future of unmanned aerial systems! Required Qualifications:
- FAA Part 107 Certification.
- Strong understanding of 14 CFR Part 107 regulations, FAA airspace, and LAANC system.
- Must possess a driver's license and be willing to operate a motor vehicle.
- Extensive flight experience with commercial (<55 lbs) and/or DoD (Group 1-3) drones.
- Proficiency working with MAVLINK, Pixhawk, Cube Pilot, PX4, and Ardupilot.
- Experience with flight execution and ground control software, such as Q Ground Control, Mission Planner, ATAK UAS Tool, and/or DJI Go.
- Basic understanding of drone electrical, mechanical, and software systems.
- Technology background with troubleshooting skills and analytical research capabilities.
- Familiarity with operational frequency bands, flight tuning, and UAS test and evaluation.
- Ability to research and interpret technical documentation to solve problems.
- Background in software or computer science.
- Proficiency in operating Linux, Ubuntu, Windows, and/or terminal commands.
- Versatility in various trades and hardware/software debugging.
- Comfort working on multiple projects concurrently.
- Prior experience in software code/script building using programming languages (e.g., Go, Java,
- Military training as a UAS/UAV operator.
- Experience with prototype fabrication using 3D printing and/or CNC machining.
- Ability to make independent decisions, troubleshoot, and repair electrical faults.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- U.S. Citizenship may be required due to security clearance needs.